ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Catherine Olmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:58:02 -0400

The WonderLab Museum in Bloomington Indiana has used Explorer since we
opened in March 2003. We use most of the modules (gift store, inventory,
sales, events, membership, development, patron).

We have been enormously pleased by not only how well the software has worked
over this entire time, but also by how incredibly supportive the Explorer
people are. Whenever we have problems or questions about how we are using
the software, they quickly respond (within a day or so) with suggestions,
advice or reminders of stuff that we have forgotten.

In general, most problems we have experienced have been related to
ourselves, e.g., when staff have not been trained fully, or just forget
things because they are human, or stupid stuff happens such as cables coming
loose.

We have given the Explorer people suggestions and ideas, and some of these
have been implemented over time. And their annual user meetings help all
museums using Explorer to trade information, and to provide suggestions and
concerns to the company. The Explorer people are always receptive to
constructive feedback, which I cannot say about most other software
companies.

I cannot imagine a more supportive software company than Explorer.  Our
museum operations are consistently strengthened by the power that this
integrated software provides. All but one of our departments can share the
information and this has been an enormous improvement over our pre-Explorer
days.  The only department that is not tied into Explorer is the volunteer
department, and that's because there was no module for that when we first
purchased the software over 5 years ago.

They have my highest recommendation!  Hope this info is useful, and happy to
discuss this further on-list, if anyone wishes.

Catherine Olmer

Executive Director, WonderLab Museum of Science Health and Technology
308 West 4th Street, Bloomington, IN  47404
(812) 337-1337, extension 16
(812) 330-1337 fax
www.wonderlab.org

Professor of Physics, Indiana University
Swain West 117
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 855-0173
(812) 855-5533 Fax