ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kit Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:41:38 -0400

Check out the Youth Exploring Science (YES) program at the St. Louis Science Center:
www.youthexploringscience.com/yes/learning-places

and the Youth Science Center at the Science Museum of Minnesota
www.smm.org/about/kaysc/

I'm evaluating the Learning Places project (funded by NSF) involving both youth programs and am impressed by both.

Kit Klein
Consultant
314-909-6552

---- Skoshi Wise <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for models of successful teen volunteer programs, specifically
during summer months.

Currently we have a Teen Internship Program where teens earn 40 hours of
community service by working with a summer camp (20 hours), exhibit
interpreting during public hours (16 hours) and a behind the scenes project
(4 hours).  At the end of the summer they get a letter for their school
stating that they completed the 40 hour program and usually a small stipend
($50-$100).  The trouble is that once they do the program one summer, we
lose them.  I would like to figure out a way to offer the outstanding teens
from the summer before a paid position at the museum the following summer to
give them an incentive to return.  I would like to see it develop to the
point that as these teens get older they take on more of a leadership
position in the summer camp and finally teach the camps when they are old
enough.  Does anyone have a program similar to this model?  If so, where do
you find the funds to pay the teens?  What works?  What does not work?
Please tell all...

Thanks in advance for your responses.

--
Skoshi Wise