ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 09:34:29 -0400

Carrie and Linda -

It looks like you've gotten some sound advice from the members of this list
about working with schools. No doubt they will be an important audience for
addressing both your mission and your bottom line.

As important as they will be, though, you might also want to consider what
education means more broadly and/or to other groups. You mentioned camps in
your request. That seems like a good start. There are also scout groups,
senior groups, and tour groups, to name just a few of the audiences you
might serve.

I would guess that one of the biggest "groups" you will serve will be the
individual family groups who visit the science center. These groups might or
might not identify their goals as "educational", but I think it is important
to consider how you will meet the needs of visitors outside of formal,
organized groups. (e.g., Will you offer demonstrations? Special programs a
few times a year? "Mommy and me" style workshops?) While the answers to
these questions might fall more on the "programs" side of the operation, I
think it's important to consider them in an education plan, as well.

You have no shortage of good ideas, I'm sure - just a shortage of time. :)
Like others, I will be happy to engage in a Q&A offline if you'd like.

Bill