ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:27:20 -0400

I wouldn't expect a Christian to necessarily understand what it feels like
to non-Christians.  I do expect you to take what I say seriously and not
dismiss it as invalid based on your own beliefs.  You had one data point
from a Jew who didn't care, now you have another data point from one who
does.  What you choose to do with that is your business, but don't tell me
or anyone else that it doesn't really bother Jews, because it does bother
some of us.  As far as Christians go, you should also stick to speaking for
yourself.  Many of the Christians I know fully support the use of CE in
secular contexts and do not find it offensive at all.

I'm a Jew by choice and when I was a Christian, I also thought people in
minority religions were sometimes oversensitive.  I now know differently.
AD is literally "year of our lord" and Jesus is not my lord.  I don't have
any objection to your use of AD in Christian contexts or personal
communications (Ian's use of AD in his post, for example, did not make me
feel uncomfortable or unwelcome at all - he is speaking for himself) but I
don't think that SMM really wants to represent itself as a Christian
institution.  If I'm wrong about that, I'd be happy for you to set the
record straight.

As for the need to educate people as to what CE means, education is what we
are about, isn't it?

David L Smith
Director of Professional Development
Da Vinci DiscoveryCenter of Science and Technology
http://www.discovery-center.org