Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:13:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Tangentially related to the question...

Last summer I asked this list for advice on volunteer sign-up software for our NASA CP4SMP project "NASA Science and Technology on the Family Calendar" (grant no. NNX10AD87G !). The responses from you-all were helpful.

Our requirement was to sign up multiple people for multiple jobs in multiple shifts on multiple days. iVolunteer ended up being good for that. At first it seemed complicated, but it was actually our event that was complicated. The software was able to
handle it. It's not free, but not too expensive. One advantage with iVolunteer: volunteers do not need to create a username and password, but merely need to receive and respond to e-mails-- or sign up at the museum in one step using the "kiosk" mode.
Administrators can easily see who has signed up for what.

I looked at a couple of other volunteer signup services. One was full of stock photos that looked exclusively like suburban moms in the $250k+ category; another was full of links to another cause that, while worthy, was not related to ours.

About Basecamp: after trying more elaborate involvement, we now just use it for cloud storage. I agree that file management is not flexible. If there is a way to create folders, I don't know what it is (and am no longer interested in learning).

Steve Fentress, Director
Strasenburgh Planetarium
Rochester Museum & Science Center
657 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14607 USA
phone (585)  697-1946
fax (585) 271-7146
e-mail [log in to unmask]
www.rmsc.org

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2