ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 18:46:00 -0700

Dave,

From my perspective we not only have a lack of effective teaching about
evolution but a lack of setting up situations where students learn "how the
world works" through age-appropriate reasoning about experiences in the
natural world.   A part of the evolution problem could be solved if we just
created all science learning in ways that kids began to know things of value
because of the way they approach the natural world.  At its best, this kind
of learning helps kids develop a sense that nature is a reliable source of
information that can be trusted to help explain how the world works.  Maybe
then we would start to produce citizens that have enough understanding that
they would start to be able to recognize unreasonable explanations.

Thus anything we teach and learn about in science can eventually contribute
to all science literacy that supports any of the big ideas in science.  That
is, of course, if we teach rather than preach.

So a big question I have for all of us is: What is it about an exhibit that
explores weather or a demonstration to explore electricity that will help
kids be able to reason about evolution?

Bill Schmitt