ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elsa Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 12:19:50 -0700

[Note:  Please forgive multiple postings of this announcement.]

Dear Colleagues,

The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) will hold its
national conference in Boston, in March 2008.

In order to augment the presence of Informal Science Education at the
NSTA conferences, the NSTA Informal Science Committee has voted to
hold a full day focusing on Informal Science (IS), on Friday, March
28, 2008, at the Boston National Conference.

Please consider presenting during Informal Science (IS) Day in Boston
Friday, March 2008.  (See below if you have already submitted a
proposal to NSTA but want to present within the IS Day.)

This announcement relates to proposing to specific sessions that will
be listed as a regular NSTA conference presentation.  (In a few
months, we will be organizing our traditional Share-a-thon, which is
a less formalized event.)

Also, we hope you will help us with recruiting presenters that you
feel will be appropriate to, and enhance, our Informal Science Day.
Please feel free to circulate this Call for Proposals.

Although the official deadline for proposals for NSTA Boston is over,
we have an extended deadline for the Informal Science day proposals.
The Call for Proposals outlines exactly what people must do.  The
deadline is fast approaching - May 20, 2007.  People will need to
submit both to NSTA on-line to a special website:
http://ecommerce.nsta.org/sessions/proposalv2/default.aspx?meeting_name=2008BOS&source=vip
and also to me, Elsa Bailey at an email address I've set up
especially for this IS Day submissions: [log in to unmask]
Please read the Call for Proposals below for exact details.

Some of you may have already submitted proposals prior to April 15
through the regular NSTA channels.  These proposals can still be
included/considered for IS Day.  Please follow the instructions for
Steps I and Step III in the Call for Proposals.  If I have the ID
number your received from NSTA when you submitted those proposals,
they can be tagged and considered for inclusion in the Informal
Science Day program.

If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to
contact me.  I will be attending the American Association of Museums
(AAM) conference in Chicago from May 12-17.  I will be checking
email, and you can track me down with burning questions on my cell
phone (701) 201-2867 (please leave messages if I can't pick-up.)  To
avoid dealing with my Earthlink Spam filter, please use the special
email address I've set up for questions about Informal Science Day:

Thanks for helping to make informal science education ideas, methods,
and resources more available at NSTA conferences!  Join us by
presenting at NSTA Informal Science Day, Boston 2008!!

Best regards,
Elsa Bailey,

Division Director, Informal Science '06-'09
National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)

Call for Proposals
Informal Science Day (Friday, March 28, 2008) at NSTA National
Conference: Boston 2008

The Informal Science Division of the National Science Teachers
Association (NSTA) will present a full day focusing on Informal
Science (IS) at the Boston 2008 NSTA National conference.  Informal
Science Day is intended for all science educators: those directly
involved in informal science education, and those interested in
learning more about informal science education and its resources.
The deadline for submitting proposals for Informal Science Day Boston
2008 is May 20, 2007.

Proposals are now being accepted for participation in Informal
Science Day NSTA Boston 2008.  Proposals for sessions should fall
into one or more of the following categories:
* Models of Best Practice in Informal Science Education;
* Collaboration Between Informal and Formal Communities;
* Researching and Evaluating Informal Science Projects and Programs; and
* Informal Science Education Resources for the Formal Science
Community: What, Where, When & How?

In order to submit a proposal, please complete the following three steps:

Step I.  Prepare a Word document that includes (1) A title for your
session that begins with the program identifier words: Informal
Science Day (example, Informal Science Day: The Museum as Classroom);
(2) A 25 word summary of your presentation; (3) A 200 word
description of your presentation; (4) A list of presenters including
name, title, and institution; (5) one or more categories from the
above bullet list that best fits your proposal; (6) The ID number
that you receive from NSTA as you initiate your on-line submission.

Step II.  NSTA has provided an extended deadline for Informal Science
Day proposals.  Submit your proposal on-line at the following special
website no later than May 20, 2007.  Make sure to note the proposal
ID assigned to you by NSTA:
http://ecommerce.nsta.org/sessions/proposalv2/default.aspx?meeting_name=2008BOS&source=vip

Step III.  Send (1) the NSTA Informal Science Day proposal ID number,
(2) the Word document of your proposal and (3) your email address and
other contact information to Elsa Bailey, at <[log in to unmask]>.
(This is a special email address set up primarily for Informal
Science Day proposals.)  This last step is critical, as this places
your proposal into the review process for Informal Science Day.

After the proposal selection process is complete, we will contact all
those who submitted proposals.

General Information about Informal Science Day:
Informal Science (IS) Day at NSTA Boston 2008 will be held from 8:00
AM to 6:00 PM on Friday March 28, 2008. The sessions that will be
included in IS Day will be listed both in the general program and
also in special IS Day Program listings and pre-conference promotion.
Throughout the day there will be both general sessions and breakout
sessions.  All sessions will be held at our specially assigned
location.  Breakout slots will coincide with the conference time
slots.  Individual presentations within the breakout sessions will be
listed in the NSTA program under the following time slots: 9:30 AM -
10:30 AM; 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM; and 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM.  During the
breakout sessions there will be four to six presentations going on
simultaneously in various locations within our large room.  The
Informal Science Day will end with our Informal Share-a-thon, which
will be held from 4:30 - 6:00 PM.

Further details about formulating NSTA proposals can be found at:
http://www.nsta.org/sessions.  For those of you who are not familiar
with the NSTA on-line proposal forms, there are a number of fields on
that form.  The only types of sessions available for the Informal
Science Day are 30 or 60 minute "Hands-on Workshop" or
"Presentation."  An example of the on-line form can be found at:
http://science.nsta.org/sessions/show_example_proposal.asp?meeting=2008BOS.

For More Information
Please contact Elsa Bailey, Informal Science Division Director, at

--

Elsa Bailey, Ph. D.
Principal and Director, Elsa Bailey Consulting

Tel: (415) 759-5958
Cell: (703) 201-2867
Fax: (415) 329-2500
Email: [log in to unmask]
Special Email for information about Informal Science Day: [log in to unmask]
Now serving on the Board of the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA):
"Division Director, Informal Science '06-'09"

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to
everything else in the Universe.
-- John Muir (1911). My first summer in the Sierra, pg. 110.