ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:56:44 -0400

	There have been several books published recently about the
relationship between science and religion and they are reviewed in
the New York Times (which I hope does not immediately make them
suspect).
http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F6081EF63F5B0C768EDDAE0894DE404482

	For those close enough to NY Richard Dawkins will be speaking
at the New York Academy of Sciences,
http://www.nyas.org/events/eventDetail.asp?eventID=7515&date=10/18/2006%206:00:00%20PM

in their Readers and writers series. It will ultimately will be
posted as a pod cast and web broadcast on the Academy site. I will
send out a note when it is posted.

	Another issue that was recently discussed on Museum L, in
relation to the creation museum are the ethics of being a museum and
presenting distorted views to the public, in this case of the natural
world.  AAM does have ethical guidelines for functioning as a museum
and these seem to be seriously breached by a "museum" such as the
creation museum as quoted in the article and presented on the
Awareness in Genesis. As much as we may admire their presentation
they are presenting a distorted view of the natural world. What does
it mean to be a museum? We know from studies that visitors respect us
because they can get unbiased, undistorted presentations when they
visit. What about the creation museum? Ethically should they not have
a tag line something like  a religious perspective? Is it ethical of
us to point out the distortions. the misrepresentations, even the
lies, that creationists and ID are presenting to the public?

It has been a lazy August .

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D