ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:08:29 EDT

Colleagues: As the former project director of Man: A Course of Study I have
followed this discussion with considerable interest, but I wonder why science
museum folks feel that it is necessary to draft statements defending science.
Aren't you giving the Creationists just the visibility that they seek? The
whole strategy of the Creationists and the Religious Right is to try to get people
who believe in rational discourse to engage in a dialogue with them -- not to
achieve understanding but to create a public platform where they can express
their dogmatic beliefs. Turning a science museum into a forum for such debates
only denegrates science. Why not ignore this nonsense and press on with your
good work. Truth reveals itself to each of us in its own sweet way, and I have
never met anyone who has a corner on it. Peter Dow