Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:07:24 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (158 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I think it's great that we are seeing more effort on the part of museums to offer bilingual interpretation, it goes a long way to helping an ever-increasing demographic feel included and welcome.  Kudos to you Erich on forging ahead on that front!
Kirsten

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:33:16 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Bilingual Signage in Museums
> To: [log in to unmask]
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Thanks Kirsten for making that distinction. I'm not savvy enough in my linguistic terminology. Please forgive me, I'm happy to be corrected.  But the use of different words or terms (regionalisms or colloquialisms) was a big enough issue with the client in PR that they completely rejected the Mexican copywriter. But that project was a decade back and we have all come a long way in the use multiple languages for exhibits. 
> 
> I also know that more recently here in Austin we had occasion to be "corrected" on some of our in-house spanish translations. Sometimes we found out that, sure enough, it was just wrong and other times it was just a judgement call on the part of the visitor. We eventually started using a professional translator.  I have never heard the term "Broadcast Spanish" but it makes perfect sense.  
> 
> The spoken language is probably a bigger issue.  A Texan might have a hard time understanding a southy from Boston or in the case of my own family my Prussian father had a hard time with my mom's southern German.  
> 
> Erich Rose
> 
> Erich Rose Design
> 807 The Living End
> Austin, TX 78746
> 512-626-9930; [log in to unmask]
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Dec 6, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Kirsten Buchner wrote:
> 
> > ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> > Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> > *****************************************************************************
> > 
> > 
> > Hi Erich,
> > As a native Spanish speaker and translator, I'm taking this opportunity to dispel they myth that there are different dialects of Spanish (there are not).   While people in Latin America speak with different accents and might use different words for a few different things (such as the difference between Texans and North Dakotans), we all understand "broadcast Spanish," such as that used in Univision or Telemundo.  Sounds like the person you used in your project used too many regionalisms or colloquialisms.
> > Currently I am working with the Institute of Learning Innovation to get feedback from Spanish-speaking visitors to a bilingual exhibit about the Chilean miners who were successfully rescued last year; it is an example of a well-done translation that is understandable and accessible to Latinos from all over Latin America.
> > Kirsten Buchnerwww.insighte.net
> > 
> >> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 20:13:55 -0600
> >> From: [log in to unmask]
> >> Subject: Re: Bilingual Signage in Museums
> >> To: [log in to unmask]
> >> 
> >> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> >> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> >> *****************************************************************************
> >> 
> >> Another issue to consider is dialects.  A number of years back I worked on a project for a CM in Puerto Rico. We found a great person to do the Spanish, or so we thought.  Oh boy! BIG differences in how Spanish is spoken in PR and Mexico.  There was a discussion on one of these listservs a few years back and a few museums suggested using European Spanish.  But that may be still a bit like the "Queen's English" in that it still is not always the norm. 
> >> 
> >> Erich Rose
> >> 
> >> Erich Rose Design
> >> 807 The Living End
> >> Austin, TX 78746
> >> 512-626-9930; [log in to unmask]
> >> 
> >> 
> >> 
> >> 
> >> On Dec 5, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
> >> 
> >>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> >>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> >>> *****************************************************************************
> >>> 
> >>> Does anyone know of some great examples of bilingual signage in science or
> >>> other museums? I looking for suggestions that consider everything from
> >>> graphic design to cultural sensitivity. Any thoughts?
> >>> 
> >>> geoff
> >>> 
> >>> 
> >>> 
> >>> 
> >>> Geoffrey Thomas, PhD
> >>> Curator
> >>> Content Development
> >>> 
> >>> The Tech Museum
> >>> 201 South Market Street
> >>> San Jose, CA 95113, USA
> >>> +1 (408) 795-6304
> >>> [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
> >>> <http://www.thetech.org/>
> >>> 
> >>> Visit: thetech.org
> >>> 
> >>> Like: facebook.com/TheTechMuseum
> >>> 
> >>> Follow: twitter.com/#!/TheTechMuseum <http://twitter.com/#%21/TheTechMuseum>
> >>> 
> >>> ***********************************************************************
> >>> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> >>> 
> >>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> >>> 
> >>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> >>> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> >>> 
> >>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> >>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> >>> [log in to unmask]
> >> 
> >> ***********************************************************************
> >> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> >> 
> >> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> >> 
> >> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> >> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> >> 
> >> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> >> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> >> [log in to unmask]
> > 		 	   		  
> > ***********************************************************************
> > For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> > 
> > Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> > 
> > The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> > http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> > 
> > To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> > message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> > [log in to unmask]
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2