ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Edith Piaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:36:42 +0000

 Being a business professor and space business lecturer in france and the
 us, i agree that the use of BC and AD is more uniform and we use it even
 in business. even in history it is still used but now i noticed that for
 new teachers taking teacher exams, they are using the bce and ce in orde
r to secularise time. in france we still use AD and BC.  it is interestin
g also how non-western people are flabbergasted by the willingness of wes
terners to change their culture, or ideals to accommodate the non-western
ers. it is just something to think about. Edith

> De: "Glenn A. W
alsh" <[log in to unmask]>
> A: [log in to unmask]

 Objet: Re: ISEN:Science, religion, BC, and AD
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005
09:57:22 -0700

> <pre>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of S
cience-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science
 museums and related institutions.
> ***********************************
>
> Although somewhat commo
n, personally, I find the terms
> C.E. and B.C.E. too generic. C.E. stan
ds for "Current
> Era." What if, a century or two from now, there is

another calendar reform? Then, suddenly, these dates
> are no longer "Cu
rrent Era." All of the dates with the
> C.E. or B.C.E. notations would h
ave to be changed.

> Although B.C. and A.D. do refer to one specific

> religion, it is the common calendar of business and
> civic affairs
used by nearly everyone on the planet.
> And, B.C. and A.D. refer to a *
specific* dating
> system, no matter what dating systems are used in the

> future, so there is no confusion.
>
> gaw
>
> Glenn A. Walsh

 Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
> Author of History Web S
ites on the Internet --
f=http://www.planetarium.cc>http://www.planetarium.cc</a>>
> * Adler Pl
anetarium, Chicago:
>   < <a href=http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com>ht
tp://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com</a>>
> * Astronomer & Optician John A.
Brashear:
>   < <a href=http://johnbrashear.tripod.com>http://johnbrash
ear.tripod.com</a>>
> * Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
>   < <
a href=http://www.andrewcarnegie.cc>http://www.andrewcarnegie.cc</a>>

 * Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
/www.incline.cc>http://www.incline.cc</a>>

> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! M
ail has the best spam protection around

> More information about the Informal S
cience Education Network and the
ters may be found at <a href=http://www.astc.org.>http://www.astc.org.</a
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> mes
sage  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
se.lsoft.com.

Comparez les prix de la high-tech avec Boursoprix.com - http://www.boursoprix.com