ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:58:41 -0500

In watching this discussion unfold, I have a few quick thoughts.

As much as we would like to define our experiences in ways that make
sense to us and give credibility to the value of our work, what do our
guests think?  What inspires them to visit and what do they expect when
they get there after seeing those terms being used?  When I was at
Liberty Science Center, we had a very prominent exhibit, the Hoberman
sphere, designed by Chuck Hoberman.  Many of you sell a replica of that
exhibit in your stores.  It was one of the most engaging experiences
that we had.  The ooos and ahs and the questions that came out as a
result of observing the exhibit was incredible.  Watching 6 year olds
changing locations as the structure came alive to see something they
didn't before was intriguging, and watching scientists trying to figure
out how it worked was even more intriguing.

Was it interactive?    No
Was it hands-on ?    No
Was it minds on -- whatever that means -- it certainly sparked your
curiousity.
Was it hearts on -- not sure what that means either but watching the
surprise in peoples eyes as they arrived I guess it got their heart pumping.

If I had a museum of Hoberman-like structures or even non interactive
Rhoads scuptures that were big, kinetic and compelling, would it be a
worthwhile place to go visit. Not interactive or hands on, but. . .

To me it's about being compelling, intriguing, inspiring, engaging, a
place that people are willing to visit more than once and a place that
they are willing to tell others that your experience is a must do
experience.  You can't be old, dusty and uninspiring - unless dusty
makes an important point, but you can use interactive, hands on, minds
on and hearts on as tools of the trade. These are the tools we consider
when we create compelling experiences.  If something is better to
observe orjust hear or just smell, hands on may take away from the
exerience.  And if entertainment is a tool we can use to spark someone's
curiousity, use that as a tool.  We should not get bogged down in words
and figure out what our role is with our visitors and guests, depending
on what you call them.

I'm sure this same debate existed when we got tired of the word
interactive.  I laughed a few weeks ago when I refered to one of our
science centers as a traditional interactive science center. Who would
have thought that interactive and traditional would be in the same sentence?

The challenge is to make a difference regardless of what you offer.

Just some thoughts early on a Thursday morning.

Stephen Brand