ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:36:33 -0700

Hey All,
This discussion has nothing to do with science, or questioning.  It has to do with a perceived conflict in social values and status.  It's not going to be solved through measured discussion and consensus agreement: Think cigarettes, climate change, abortion, etc.  The science has been settled.  It just plays out over and over again in some form, and it has little to do with level of education or classroom.  Many smart, well educated, wealthy people can and do believe hogwash and many poor, uneducated people carry wisdom and truth.  Not any different than it ever was.  Every bell curve has broad tails. The center moves slowly.

Here an example of parallel preposterousness, signed sealed and delivered:

 http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/apr/12/attacks-climate-science-nasa-staff
"These are individuals purporting to be experts but whose views are inconsistent with established knowledge. Fake experts have been used extensively by the tobacco industry who developed a strategy to recruit scientists who would counteract the growing evidence on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke."

It is pandering and manipulation to other ends pure and simple; it's outrageous, and a disservice to humanity.  It is also the price of liberty and freedom. Would that the world were perfect.

On Apr 12, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

>> I find myself more than sad and embarrassed; more like Angry. This is
>> indicative of the general decline in the discourse in this country with
>> very few bright spots. Why pick on education (unfortunately a common and
>> useful target as kids cannot speak up for themselves as they cannot vote)
>> is beyond me when there is such a focus on finances, earning power and our
>> economic future. Some have pointed out that this attitude is bizarre
>> asTennessee is making strides in attracting high tech industries. (Maybe
>> low taxes trumps attitude towards science). And a recent poll I wrote about
>> suggests that parent are concerned about the level of science in their
>> children's classrooms. Maybe parents should start voting based upon the
>> needs of their children's education. What was the legislature  thinking
>> about as they passed this bill and the governor in not vetoing it? It is
>> beyond me.
>>
>> It has nothing to do with science because the politicians and governor do
>> not understand the science they are allowing to be distorted by their vote.
>> It is a thoughtless response to a perception that their life choices are
>> under attack. How attacking science makes them feel more secure is beyond
>> me. But going to war is the motif of the time. Saying it is a different
>> perspective (conservative vs liberal or moderate) is inadequate to explain
>> much of what is going on in proposing and passing this bill.
>>
>> Martin
>>

> –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
> Martin Weiss, PhD
> Senior Scientist
> New York Hall of Science
> mweiss at nyscience.org
> cell   347-460-1858
> desk 718 595 9156
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
>
> This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
> and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
> without the consent of the sender.

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.
San Francisco, CA 94123
Tel:   415-561-0319
Fax:  415-561-0370

Skype: sciskypecharlie
MobileMe: [log in to unmask]
Twitter: charliec53
http://blogs.exploratorium.edu/whyintercept/

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own and should in no way be construed or attributed to the Exploratorium or related organization, and do not represent an institutional position.
Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.