ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:35:00 -0700

Hello Preeti,

Maybe these folks are just being 'thoughtful,' allowing visitors time to
gather around before beginning a demonstration. I don't think I've ever
seen an ASTC session that started on time - even my own. We always give
the stragglers a few minutes to settle in.

Or maybe, that as 'casual' employees, they're doing their jobs as
described - casually. In a way it's comforting for me to see that people
can act like people and not like machines. But, you may not like this
slowly slipping schedule, which can admittedly cause chaos down the
line. I assume firing is not an option because these people perform
important tasks through out the museum and you need them. Let me tell
you of a very important lesson I learned from one of my employees when I
was a supervisor at your very same New York Hall of Science.

This guy was a talented craftsman and he did beautiful work, when he had
worthwhile work to do.  But when he had crappie little filler projects
assigned to him he wouldn't show up for days at a time, sometimes
without even a phone call. When I asked him about it, he told me he had
a little balance scale in his head. When the benefits of coming to work
favored him, he came in. When the balance did not favor him, he did
something else.

I realized I also had a balance in my head. In his case, the quality of
the work he did for the Hall when he did come in outweighed the loss of
work when he didn't. This was a brilliant revelation for me. I think the
guy deserves a Noble Prize in economics. Isn't it like that for all of
us? The sum of the benefits of doing a job have got to outweigh the
negative aspects or we wouldn't show up. And it is the same with these
casual employees

Obviously, the two sides have found a balance point. You're annoyed by
their tardiness but not quite annoyed enough to fire them. They tolerate
the work but don't love it quite enough to be worried by being fired or
being on time

The solution to me seems obvious. You have to increase the benefits of
being employed to the point where they will care about being let go.
Benefits could include higher pay, but that's not the only benefit you
have to offer. You could also offer them more responsibility, greater
respect and more interesting assignments. Find a way of making the job
more valuable to them and they will likely do a better job for you.

These people are your institution's interface with visitors. Though
often the lowest paying position on staff they are likely to have the
biggest impact on the visitor experience, perhaps more so than the
exhibits they help interpret or the demonstrations they perform.
Personally, I think it takes a very special person to do this kind of
job well. Think of it, a director or a couple of department heads can be
'no-shows' for days on end and that doesn't affect the visitor at all.
Have a few floor staff call in sick and it's a nightmare on 111th Street.

Joe R.

--
ÐÏࡱá