ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 02:37:41 -0400

Science Centers represent Science.  We therefore have a responsibility
for reputation much bigger than our own reputation as any one
individual center.  The faster we respond to the direct implication
that any science center even contemplated wavering on evolution, the
better.  It isn't just the centers in the south whose reputation is
being questioned.  It is the reputation and the definition of science
that has been challenged anywhere the articles have possibly been read.
  Since that includes the Times and USA today (whose article even more
than the Times one linked Science centers and the wavering on
evolution).  See the  archive to find the articles, I hope.  I know the
Times one (March 19th) was pasted in to at least one of the listserv
posts.  Anyone have access to the USA Today article?  Was it on the
20th?

If you are a Science Center you don't get a choice.  You must post the
defense of Evolution in your center when stories come out in the press
implying that we are not sure of evolution.  While some people in our
society have an adverse reaction to the word evolution, this is
literally a defining moment.  By defining why evolution is science we
actually have a great way of helping to clearly define science itself.

For such an important understandable paragraph  or two for our visitors
  that we can all print out a finished version of, place in a central
spot in our center and have something that we can be proud of I
therefore reiterate the "Write the best version of the Evolution sign"
challenge.  On April 1st I had suggested a one week deadline for
getting your entrees in.  It's no longer a suggestion- we need this
ASAP.  Post your candidate sign by Friday midnight.  We hopefully will
have a number of exceptional candidates to pick from.  This is a two
part process.  After all the candidates are in, the second and final
round will happen, so all the great writers among us can combine the
best ideas from the best thinkers.  Let's say Tuesday midnight for the
finals.  Go!, if you haven't already.  There may not be a clear winner,
but that is an asset, not a liability, to have a couple of good
candidates to choose from.

My candidate:

Evolution is Science-

People in our society have a naive notion that we can choose science
like we choose a political persuasion.  In science no individual
chooses what science stands up.   Individuals put up the ideas, called
theories, like Einstein, for example, or Darwin.  In both cases, as in
all science, the theories proposed by individuals are tried out,
tested, poked, prodded, thought about from every possible angle, by
anyone and everyone.  Individuals are key to the process and get credit
for their ideas, but it isn't science until the theory has been tested
by the community of individuals with knowledge of the particular field.
  If anything proves them wrong they are no longer science.  Einstein's
theory of relativity is proven science, it has stood through much
testing and still is left standing.   Even after such a long time(100
years next year!) of being proven science the theory of relativity is
and always will be called a theory.  Darwin's theory of evolution is
the same: proven science called a theory. 1?? years and still standing!