ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Thomas Twardowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:40:39 -0400

Jeff's comment about hot coffee got me to thinking about an industrial
safety procedure I was recently involved with. These days, it is common
to refer to a "reasonable man or woman" standard for value-based
judgements. Would a reasonable man or woman understand the hazards of an
activity? The policy went on to give a couple of examples of where a
behavior met the standard, and where it did not. Coffee pots and knives
were an example where a reasonable man or woman were expected to
understand the dangers in a science-based corporate environment.

Granted, since science educators are working with more exotic materials
than is usual. How would a science museum evaluate whether an exhibit or
demonstration met such a standard? How do you figure in children? Aren't
children by definition unreasonable, and a parent's role to help them
learn what is reasonable and unreasonable?

Society seems to have adopted some strange definitions of reasonable
activities. How many of us run to catch an elevator and push the
elevator call button to stop the doors? I don't, I just reach in and
activate the safety bar in the doorway. I rely on a safety mechanism
instead of using the appropriately safe behavior! When I think about it,
that is a very bad idea...