ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter A Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 10:21:50 -0700

Nina,

Your idea is great!  And the slide rules would be a good exercise.  But,
I doubt if trajectories were calculated that way, at Apollo 13 time.  I
recall learning Fortran 4 on an IBM 7044 in 1965 - and even that, with
its 38K RAM and 3-foot diameter hard disks, was much more capable of
calculating a trajectory, than was a slide rule.  But, I'll be happy to
be proven wrong.  Some people were real whizzes with slide rules.

The first hand-held calculator from Texas Instruments appeared in 1967.

I recall, as many must, getting my kids up in the wee hours to watch the
TV ....  They all remember it;  it was fantastic.

As you note, telephones have changed a lot, and communications
generally.  Some people were still sending telegrams in 1969.  And no
Internet!  Many people relate to car designs, and these might be part of
defining the period.

Other great advances, as in plastics and synthetic fibers and glues and
car engine management, are less noticeable to the public.

Good luck!

Peter Anderson