Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:46:38 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (86 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Dear Lindzy,

One of the reasons why there is so little on the subject might be that the rich literature on (pro-environmental) behavior change indicates that short-exposure interventions may not be a very effective way for changing behavior, maybe with the exception of interventions that specifically target behaviors which the audience has the ability to do something about [and even then something reinforcing would have to happen afterwards]. That said, I think the Bill Nye's Climate Lab Exhibit at Chabot or the National Academies Koshland Museum's Decision Lab may have some interesting initial evaluation results. Below I listed three references that could be useful (but you may already be familiar with them). The first two summarize existing literature on behavior change in the area of the environment, and the article Kirsten Ellenbogen, Joe Heimlich and I wrote summarizes three cases, two of which (Biodiversity 911 exhibit and hotel water conservation efforts) might be instructive on the issue.

Cheers,
Martin

Heimlich, J.E. & Ardoin N.M. (2008). Understanding behavior to understand behavior change: a literature review. Environmental Education Research 14(3): 215-237.

Stern, P. C. (2008). Environmentally significant behavior in the home. In Lewis, A. (Ed), The Cambridge handbook of psychology and economic behaviour, (pp. 363-382). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.

Storksdieck, M., Ellenbogen, K. & Heimlich, J.E. (2005). Changing Minds? Factors that influence free-choice learning about environmental conservation. Environmental Education Research 11(3): 93-109.

Martin Storksdieck, Ph.D.

Director, Board on Science Education

The National Academies

500 Fifth Street NW - 1153

Washington, DC 20001

202-334-3987 (office)

443-254-0002 (cell)

[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bivings, Lindzy
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Greetings All,

I am in the process of planning a Science and Sustainability Family Science Night. One of out top goals is to promote pro-environmental behavior change.

As I look through the literature I am seeing very little reference to research or evaluation done on this topic. In fact the only journal article referencing this based on Disney's Conservation Station within Animal Kingdom. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, or with an appropriate search term, so I am hoping to get some help from you all. I know proving that change happened based on a one-time experience is difficult, but does that mean no one is trying this?

Have you done programming focused on pro-environmental behavior change? I'd love to hear about your experiences, thoughts or perspectives on this idea.

Cheers,

Lindzy Bivings
Manager of Enhanced Museum Visits for Students California Academy of Sciences
T: (415) 379-5188
F: (415) 379-5711
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.calacademy.org/teachers/rockprogram<x-msg://21/www.calacademy.org/teachers/rockprogram>

New! Family Science Blog<http://www.calacademy.org/teachers/families/>
http://www.calacademy.org/teachers/families/

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2