ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Storksdieck, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:46:38 -0500

Dear Lindzy,

One of the reasons why there is so little on the subject might be that the rich literature on (pro-environmental) behavior change indicates that short-exposure interventions may not be a very effective way for changing behavior, maybe with the exception of interventions that specifically target behaviors which the audience has the ability to do something about [and even then something reinforcing would have to happen afterwards]. That said, I think the Bill Nye's Climate Lab Exhibit at Chabot or the National Academies Koshland Museum's Decision Lab may have some interesting initial evaluation results. Below I listed three references that could be useful (but you may already be familiar with them). The first two summarize existing literature on behavior change in the area of the environment, and the article Kirsten Ellenbogen, Joe Heimlich and I wrote summarizes three cases, two of which (Biodiversity 911 exhibit and hotel water conservation efforts) might be instructive on the issue.

Cheers,
Martin

Heimlich, J.E. & Ardoin N.M. (2008). Understanding behavior to understand behavior change: a literature review. Environmental Education Research 14(3): 215-237.

Stern, P. C. (2008). Environmentally significant behavior in the home. In Lewis, A. (Ed), The Cambridge handbook of psychology and economic behaviour, (pp. 363-382). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.

Storksdieck, M., Ellenbogen, K. & Heimlich, J.E. (2005). Changing Minds? Factors that influence free-choice learning about environmental conservation. Environmental Education Research 11(3): 93-109.

Martin Storksdieck, Ph.D.

Director, Board on Science Education

The National Academies

500 Fifth Street NW - 1153