ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:40:46 -0700

At Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and
Institute of Popular Science [1939-1991] in the 1980s
and early 1990s, one of our regular volunteers always
would complain that a lot of students, particularly
during school group visits, utilized the institution
as an "amusement park for the index finger." That is,
many children would push a button on one exhibit, see
something happen, but before really understanding what
happened would then run-off to the next exhibit and
push their button, and the process would continue
repeating itself.

> those reasons.  How about a price break for schools
> that come at
> off-peak times?

One year, we did try this at the original Buhl
Planetarium, with very disappointing results. As our
40,000 square-foot building was jammed during the
Spring school trip months, resulting in a much lower
quality "product" for the young visitors, we offered a
discount for school groups which visited in September
and October [September was the "deadest" month of the
year for us].

Very few school groups took advantage of the offer.
Looking back on it, I think I understand why. The
offer was made to the teachers, who do not have to
worry about the school district budget. Teachers
prefer Spring field trips, as the better Spring
weather and the coming end of the school year makes
keeping the students' attention in class much more
difficult.

Now, had the discount offer been communicated to the
school principals or school district superintendents,
who DO have to worry about school budgets, the result
may have been much different!

gaw