ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:19:28 -0500

It's already been prototyped, Eric, about 125 years ago. :-)  Still a good
device.
Alexander Graham Bell also invented the photophone in 1880, just a couple of
years after it was discovered that selenium changed its resistance depending
upon its exposure to light.  There are drawings of what he made that I used
to make a look-alike copy for a communications exhibit  we did at the
Franklin around 1986.  I used Mylar as a 2" diameter membrane vibrated by
visitors
voice.  The light source was a spot and the receiver was a cheap solar cell
connected to an amp.

I just love google!  Here's a working drawing from Alexander himself!
http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/gilded/jb_gilded_bell_2_e.html
Looks like one of mine- "thinking" drawings like this one are almost always
crude.

The thing I built was based on his transmitter seen here.
http://www.bell-labs.com/org/physicalsciences/timeline/span2.html#
We had better line drawings of it to go by; they must exist somewhere.