ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Keith T Ostfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:25:56 +0000

Hi Paul,

Rather than investing in handheld devices that we check out to visitors, we have our staff using PMTs as a part of a federally funded project as well as encouraging visitors to use their own handheld devices in the Museum.

The 21-Tech project is an IMLS-funded project with the Children's Museum of Houston working in partnership with New York Hall of Science, Sciencenter, Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), and the Lawrence Hall of Science to develop several training techniques for floor staff, docents, and/or volunteers to utilize PMTs (in our case, iPad and iPad2) as facilitation tools. Rather than creating new apps, we adapt existing apps (free or very low cost), videos, graphic images, etc. to the content in various exhibits and train our frontline staff on how to incorporate it into the visitor experience such that we do not remove the hands-on experience, but rather enhance the experience and deepen the learning. The iPads are not for visitors to check out, but rather several of our frontline staff walk thought the Museum and use them with visitors. If you go to www.21-tech.org<http://www.21-tech.org>, you can see some of our latest data regarding the use of personal mobile technology (PMT) as facilitation tools for frontline staff as well as some other data we have picked up.

We've had some very exciting results so far in our first two rounds of evaluation. We're currently working on our final round of evaluation, focusing on the effectiveness of the training from the standpoint of the staff, at which time we'll begin summative. We've recently launched the website as a repository of our findings and what we've learned and we're still filling it with information as the project continues.

In addition, rather than just rely on our PMTs, we wanted our visitors to use their own handheld devices - their smartphones - to interact more deeply with the exhibits. We offer free WiFi in the Museum which has allowed us to use QR codes (which we update on a fairly regular basis) for over a year to point visitors to additional information they can access through their PMTs include text-based sites (ex. Wikipedia articles), images, videos, and text statements with challenges, questions to consider, and hints. We also have a mobile website (Spanish and English) to help guide people through the calendar of the day and the exhibits. Overall, we've found our visitors to be very appreciative of the offerings we provide and it helps them use their phones in the exhibits with their kids, rather than just sitting off to the side texting friends, posting to Facebook, and surfing Pinterest (although several of them still do that, too :)).

I hope that helps!

Keith

Keith Ostfeld
Director of Educational Technology and Exhibit Development
Children's Museum of Houston
713-535-7228
fax: 713-524-6471

See Mr. O and what's on his mind - www.cmhoustonblog.org<http://www.cmhoustonblog.org/>