ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:38:03 -0700

Hi, Paul.  The Exploratorium did a research project on that topic several years ago using PDA's.  We at Gyroscope included a summary in a report we wrote about technology in museums.  Here's an excerpt:

Evaluation of the project showed mixed results. Visitors enjoyed using the devices and many were willing to
commit the time to try out the suggested activities at the exhibits. At the same time, however, the devices were
shown to cause social isolation and to interfere with visitors’ use of the exhibits. Rakhi Rajani, a researcher
with HP Labs in Palo Alto, a partner in the proof-of-concept studies, indicated that the video screen was
distracting, the devices were cumbersome and the small screens not compelling, and there were problems with
training visitors in how to use the devices. According to Rajani, “Fundamentally, the problem was that you
don’t want visitors to a hands-on science museum to have one hand limited by holding a device.”

The excerpt is from a report titled Museums in Transition, available at
http://www.gyroscopeinc.com/articles/MuseumsInTransition.pdf

Chuck

> To clarify, my interest is in how to utilize apps in a hands-on museum  setting (specifically a science museum) in which we are also asking visitors to actively/physically engage in exhibits.  Currently developed apps for the most part in museums are being used as a high tech variation of the "audio tour".

Chuck Howarth, Vice President

G Y R O S C O P E I N C
283 Fourth Street, Suite 201
Oakland, CA 94607