ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:12:33 -0700

Anna,

My guess, without seeing what you've got, is that you're not allowing a
wide and/or long enough distribution. A 'nice' bell curve is going to
require a lot of possible distribution paths. A mathematician or
statistician - I'm not one - could tell you just how many you you would
have to have to get a nice curve. Even at that, there is a certain
amount of randomness that you would expect.. To me, this randomness is
the most interesting attribute of the exhibit and not that it always
works out 'perfectly.'

So, look at giving the balls more interactions as they fall and allow
them to spread into a wider area. Seven might not be enough to give you
the curve you're after, 15 would be better, 30 better still.

On the other side of the coin - the exhibit likely is working - you're
not suggesting that the Ping-Pong ball is deifying the laws of physics
are you? - It's just not working the way you expected!

Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com

--
ÐÏࡱá