Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 05:21:59 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (74 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

So when can we hear sample of the Shutdown Shuffle?
Becky Menlove
Associate Director for Visitor Experience

NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM OF UTAH  |  Rio Tinto Center  |  University of Utah

301 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108  |  www.nhmu.utah.edu
801 585 1073 office  |  [log in to unmask]

Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 3:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Government Shutdown. What Me Worry? Yes, we should!

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

- My husband works as a senior research scientist at the USDA (I have been a scientist at Lawrence Labs w/ DOE funding) and has a large lab with 25-30 employees at Cornell University.  He works with the Gates Foundation, the FAO and World Health Org. to use the natural diversity in crop plants to increase food security and sustainability.  There are several hundred thousand dollars worth of experiments in the form of corn plants that need to be harvested  in a relatively narrow time frame, which is NOW.  Unfortunately, none of the USDA employees are allowed in the fields, and with the current rains, the prospect of the research material being entirely rotted by the time Congress figures things out is very plausible.

One of the articles sent touches on this, the millions of tax-payer dollars funding research for the DOE, DOD NIH, NASA, USDA, etc., research being done by government employees who are not allowed in their labs to attend to and monitor their experiments, and how many of those experiments and projects will fail because of the shutdown, while Congress continues to get paid.  Makes me furious.

My husband, the government employee, can't and shouldn't say anything; but I can.  I've sent a very detailed, concise letter to every Rep I can find, and to a lot of other folks up on the Hill, too.  Yeah, I agree with you, Charlie – I may be yelling in a forest with no one to hear, but I'm with Maria and Marilyn; it's my right to yell, and I'm goin' for it. I did also write a bluegrass-type song called, "The Shutdown Shuffle"; that made me feel a bit better, too.  Meanwhile, there's a lot of folks going without while these blowhards hum and haw.

At least AISL is back. For now.

Cheers -
Carlyn

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.
Science Museum Studies
Cooperstown Graduate Program
5838 State Route 80
Cooperstown, NY 13326
P:  607.547.2586
F:  607.547.8926
C:  607.592.4108

[log in to unmask]

"Suspended judgment is the greatest triumph of intellectual discipline”.  W.R. Brooks

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2