ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andy Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:07:10 -0700

This thread is really interesting to me as we are developing the first phase of an exhibition at the Centre for Life (Newcastle, UK) on Human Life - the second phase will include Human Evolution and possible futures (particularly relevant as scientists on our site hold the worlds first license to carry out therapeutic cloning research...)

Anyway, back to the debate about what to call the statement.  I am planning to repeat an exercise I did on a previous project where we displayed the exhibitions "editorial policy" at the start and end of the exhibition.  That time it was a nuclear power exhibition, and we were trying to take a neutral standpoint.  This time, as part of Centre for Life, the exhibtion will have an opinion and we feel this should be clearly set out.  This is pretty much what you are doing too.

Most exhibtions I have seen have been a little coy about this - they have either tried to be neutral or to gloss over their inherent biases.  Maybe this is why "dialogue" in exhibition can feel tokenistic.  Is this debate evidence of a move towards a more honest positioning of our exhibitions - "yes, there is an inherent set of assumptions and values and this is what they are...".

We're over a year away from setting this up, but has anyone else tried this approach (and evaluated it)?

Andy