ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike Levad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:20:39 -0500

Jeff and friends,

I apologize if my comment was taken wrong.  I totally agree with what you
said in response.  It was not meant as a comment about the personalities of
either profession or as a judgment on the quality of the work produced by
either but just a statement of an economic situation. The only thing more
"real" about their jobs is a regular paycheck, health insurance and boring
meetings they have to attend.

Most of the scientists I have worked with are working for a university where
the cool images they make are a secondary source of income. (There is a good
argument to be made if these are art at all or just a pretty picture of a
natural phenomena.) The artists I have worked with are free-lancing or
teaching and rely on the sale of their art as a primary source of income
making it more expensive.

I would not classify any of the artists that I have worked with as flakes,
and I never meant to imply that they were. In fact my personal experience
has been that these are some of the with it people I know.  Being an artist
is a rough way to make a living and if you are not on top of things it just
won't work.  So folks that have been a studio artist for awhile are
generally great to work with.

Mike

------ End of Forwarded Message