ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:13:26 -0700

Hello All,

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but there are
potentially many another sticky issues. In the old days it was pretty
much 'share and share alike,' and that pretty much is the case still
when only museums are involved. But things have gotten a lot more
complicated over the last decade or so with outside consultants,
designers, exhibit fabricators, and museums themselves making exhibits
for sale.

Last year I was contacted by a museum who wanted us to copy an exhibit
it had seen in another museum. They had gotten 'permission' from that
museum to make a copy. They also spoke to the guy who built the original
exhibit. He was making too much money doing kitchen cabinets to take the
job, and besides, why should he deal with 'flaky museum people.' I even
spoke to people at the original museum to get some pointers about what
did and did not work in the original exhibit.

We built the thing and it all seemed to come out fine. The only problem
was that no one had asked permission from the original designers! A
little extra digging on my part could have avoided some embarrassment
and hurt feelings. The point is, It's not always easy to know who you
have to ask permission from.

It seems to me that when the copying is only between 'nonprofits' (an
exhibit designed and built in house and being copied and built in house
by another museum's staff) very few problems arise. But as soon as
someone is making money (as if there is some money to actually make)
hackles start to come up in all kinds of unexpected places.

I spent years working in museums, 'copying' (though never and exact copy
to be sure) great exhibits I had seen along the way and having exhibits
I had built copied by others. It was always great when I'd get a call
from someone I didn't know who wanted help building an exhibit they had
seen while visiting my museum. I was just passing along the advice from
the guy I had called the week before. And I am still happy to help with
that advice if I can.

With more and more museums getting into the business of selling exhibits
it's too bad this network of support is starting to close in on itself.

Joe Ruggiero
TheExhibitGuys.com