ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jasonJayStevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:24:39 -0500

Hey Reyes and all,

John mentioned our Code Mode exhibit, which has been a hit,
demonstrating, in a relatively simple way, the principle of coding
information to simplify complex data for transmission.  The Packet
Traffic exhibit elaborates on this in a great big kinetic spectacle.

I want to add that our Telecommunication exhibition starts with a
simple fifty foot hose through which visitors can talk to each other.
It's a nice, simple way to get people thinking about communicating over
a long distance.  The label reads, "Why doesn't a real telephone work
this way?"-- a great primer for the imagination, and a question I hope
the rest of the exhibition answers.

In retrospect, I wish we'd built a network of talking tubes, complete
with "switchers."
Could be cool--and it gets at the whole subject of the Network, which
is tougher to tackle than at first it may seem.

JasonJayStevens
exhibitDeveloper
annArborHands-OnMuseum

sculptorDesigner