ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Javier Rivera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:37:55 -0800

According to our experience:

We found it best to set up an assembly session with the recipient of the
scope. We decided to set up this assembly session right after the event
where we gave away the scopes and late in the evening so they could use
the scopes right away - we also set up many used camera tripods so they
could use them for the scopes.

We made up our own written instructions because we believe the
manufacturer's instructions are a bit confusing. We added more images
and for our assembly sessions we included very large images and even a
PP presentation (especially for the lens assembly).

I have received several reports form parents (who did not participate in
the assembly sessions) saying they never were able to use the scope
because "you can't see anything".

We also created a Spanish version of the instructions.

I believe the best part was seeing children assemble and use the scopes
with the help of their parents. The whole experience was turned into a
family affair.

We donated several dozen scopes to a couple of planetariums in Mexico
and they gave us news of excitement and appreciation from the children
who finally received the scopes. The staff at the planetarium also
helped the children with the assembly but were not able to provide
enough tripods.

We believe the best target for these scopes are underserved children
between 6 and 10 years of age.

It may not be such a good idea to have children use these scopes right
after (or maybe even before) an experience with bigger, formal
telescopes because they often feel disappointed. To them it doesn't
matter that this is "a replica of the scope that Galileo used..."

Javier Rivera
Astronomy Programs Manager
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta Del Sol
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
(805) 682-4711  ext. 173;   [log in to unmask]
http://sbnature.org/gladwin/3.html