ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laurence Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:57:25 -0000

Dear All

 I am trying to put together a session proposal for next years ASTC
Conference linked to work we have been doing here in the UK at
Thinktank, Birmingham Science Museum, UK.

 The working title is 'Cultural Guide to Science: How to make science
relevant to different communities using culture and art'.

We would like to use a series of case studies from different science
centres to run a discussion on how to engage different communities. We
will focus on topics relevant for people from different cultural
backgrounds and arts projects that can be used as triggers for involving
people.

 For example:

One of our latest projects at Thinktank has produced an astronomy show
for our digital planetarium looking at ancient Chinese constellations
and the science they used to navigate around the stars and create a
lunar solar calendar. The show involved commissioning original art work
and the telling of well known stories shown in the night sky.

 During the session we would like to discuss areas such as:

*
	Different methods of working with community groups
*
	The variety of projects that can be run such as new exhibitions,
training programs or specific shows.
*
	The benefits of working with community groups and what they
bring to your science centre.
*
	How using cultural and arts based triggers can have a positive
effect on the development of scientific literacy as a whole.

If you have a case study that you would be willing to share and discuss
with a larger group or are planning one for the future then please
contact me as the deadline is approaching fast!!

If you are interested in collaborating on this session please get in
touch by Fri 12th December.

Laurence Butler

Outreach Coordinator

Thinktank Birmingham Science Museum

Disclaimer

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately at the below address. Thinktank / Millennium Point cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended, please contact the sender.

Address and Registered Office

Thinktank Trust

Millennium Point

Curzon Street