ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 09:27:48 -0700

Maybe someone has an idea where I can get the gadget I describe here.
Perhaps it doesn't exist. I do a lot of support of our small local
science museum. I would like the museum to sponsor Star Date. You may
have heard of it. It's a daily one minute broadcast on many radio
stations of a relevant astronomy event to the date--eclipse, comet,
asteroid collision(!), etc. It would be very good if a gadget like a
phone answering machine exists that will play a CD of this program
daily. We can purchase a monthly subscription of CDs from the University
of Texas (the sponsor of Star Date) that have the daily programs.

The trick here is to have a phone at the museum which has the daily
broadcast on it. It would be good if a gadget/device exists that queues
up the next 1 minute program each day from the CD for a month and plays
it whenever someone calls the phone that day. It may be that a PC/Apple
plus such a gadget is required. I checked on this about 3 years ago, but
no such device exists. Anyone aware of such a device coming on to the
market with all the new gadgets hitting the market?

--

           "Antecdotal thinking comes naturally; science requires
            training." -- Michael Shermer, Skeptic Society

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>