ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katie Stofer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:21:54 -0400

Dave - that's twice in one day! Last night I was called "darlin'" at our
staff meeting. Oddly, everyone else thought I would take offense. For the
record, I didn't think anything of either that informality or your
suggestion of "women's" appliances (though now I'm considering getting a
lawnmower to take apart - which my dad made me operate in jeans, safety
glasses, and earphones in the August heat and humidity of Houston as a
teen). Maybe my generation (tail end of Gen X) is becoming desensitized :)
Besides, maybe taking apart these things is just what women need to redesign
them and make them better.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions!

Quoting Dave Smith:

Since I am the primary user of the laundry in my house, it did not even

occur to me until I reread this thread that the appliances I suggested for a

girls take-apart were those generally associated with stereotyped female

gender roles  I certainly did not mean to suggest that the equipment to be

disassembled should be gender stereotyped in any way, but those were the

first three things I thought of that satisfied the criteria of being large,

being readily disassembled with ordinary tools, having comprehensible

mechanisms, and being readily available.  At least I didn't add vacuum

cleaners to the list, although I have a vacuum cleaner in the basement

waiting for a rainy day do I can disassemble it with my daughter.

------

Kathryn Stofer

TerraLink Exhibit Manager

Maryland Science Center

601 Light Street

Baltimore, Maryland 21230

p 410.545.5976

f 410.545.5974

http://www.marylandsciencecenter.org <http://www.marylandsciencecenter.org>

Join us for BODYWORLDS 2, now through September 1!