ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Toomey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:00:23 -0500

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to pack, move, and store a
large and very old collection of stuffed (taxidermied) birds. They are
currently in glass cases that are somewhat air and light-proof in the
basement of the museum. Some of the cases are too large to move, so I
want to know if there is a way to pack them in boxes that would not
damage the feathers, feet, etc. and would keep them protected from
insects, etc. There are hundreds of birds, and this may be longer than
temporary storage. If there is not a suitable alternative, I will try to
have the large cases cut in half and moved. We also have no budget for
this so buying new cases is not an option at this point.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Barbara Toomey

Barbara Toomey
Natural Science Program Manager
Berkshire Museum
39 South Street
Pittsfield, MA 01201
413-443-7171 ext.17 (phone)
413-443-2135 (fax)

Coming soon: reopening of the Berkshire Museum (currently closed for
renovation) and the grand opening of the new Feigenbaum Hall of
Innovation, featuring Berkshire innovations that have changed lives
around the world, March 29, 2008. www.berkshiremuseum.org
<http://www.berkshiremuseum.org/>