ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Yuan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 09:45:58 -0400

Hello,
We used 6" blacklight tubes, used for scanning currency and dermatology.
Make sure the bulb is BLB- the safer of the UV lights.  I've also tried UV
LEDS and they work okay, but are actually too far away from the visible
spectrum for our application.  You can buy flashlights with UV LEDs in them,
or look online for a particular wavelength the compound fluoresces at.  We
found that the standard 70's blacklights worked better than any specialty
UVA bulbs or LEDs for fluorescing GFP protein.

Can the photochromic compounds be backlit?  That might give more direct
fluorescing effect.

Best,
Eric