ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fisher, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:50:26 -0500

The gingko tree produces fruit with a rather foul/poo-ey/rotting garbage smell. As a freshman in college, we had them on my campus. Inevitably, someone would be tortured when a "friend" would get a single fruit, hide it in the dorm room of some poor sap, and enjoy the spectacle of that person tearing apart their room to try and find, often unsuccessfully, the hidden smelly fruit. If they didn't find the fruit, they might have to deal with the smell for months! No, I wasn't tortured, or a torturer.

You might need to work with your local plant store, or botanical garden, or talk to a botany professor at your nearby university who teaches field identification classes and might know where a tree may be in your city. Get a bag of the fruit, stick them in the freezer and use one fruit at a time as you need them to replace an older, dried-up, non-smelly one in your exhibit.

Martin

Martin S. Fisher
Director of Education & Exhibits
Nauticus, The National Maritime Center
One Waterside Drive
Norfolk, VA  23510
36°50'51"N  76°17'53"W  13 ft
phone (757) 664-1003, mobile (757) 617-7080, fax (757) 623-1287
www.TheNMC.org