Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:09:19 -1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (159 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

'Ano'ai käua e Kyrie,

Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawai'i has a very strong relationship with the Hawaiian people.  Native Hawaiians are very active here in Hawai'i as well as throughout the world.  There is a lot of cultural pride, thus Bishop Museum's mission is "To study, preserve, and tell the stories of the natural and cultural history of Hawai'i and the Pacific."  Foremost Bishop Museum is a cultural and natural science museum focusing on Hawai'i and the Pacific.  

For the past few years, we have been working to incorporate the Hawaiian worldview with western science, sharing with visitors the complementary nature.  

Some of our projects have been: 

*    Supporting the building and voyages of the Hokule'a, a double-hulled ocean canoe to prove Polynesians made purposeful controlled voyages utilizing ancient building and navigation techniques (the Hokule'a has been sailing for over 30 years, and is now in an around the Pacific voyage); 

*    Programs associated with voyaging such as Navigating Change, to take the Museum to the students on each island; 

*    Holoholo Science Outreach to take all our on-site science programs to neighbor islands, including the Hawaiian stories and science wherever possible;

(To answer another thread, we charge the same amount for our outreach program whether we drive to the other side of O'ahu, or ship everything and fly to Maui, Kaua'i, Lana'i, Moloka'i, or the Big Island.)

*    The Origin Tunnel in our Science Adventure Center, total immersion in one of the chants of creation (Kumulipo) and the echo in western scientific explanations; 

*    Creating cultural programs that reference and direct visitors to the corresponding science exhibits (navigation=planetarium, Kumulipo chant=Origin Tunnel, etc.);

*    Science and the Arts - traveling with native Hawaiian artists to elementary schools, demonstrating native crafts together with the scientific explanations.

Of course, we also collaborate with numerous native Hawaiian organizations for culture very strongly as well.  Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Aloha,

Shawn

Shawn White

Science Education Manager

Bishop Museum

1525 Bernice Street

Honolulu, HI 96817

(808) 847-8227

(808) 847-8250 FAX

[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyrie Thompson
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Collaborations with Native American Tribes or Groups

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I was wondering if anybody has participated in or knows about

collaborations between science centers and Native American/Alaska Native

tribes or groups.  In particular, I am interested in collaborations that

led to exhibits or programs that include Native American experts and/or

are meant for Native American/Alaska Native audiences.

Thank you, 

Kyrie Thompson

Exhibit Developer 

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry

Can't tell a Psittacosaurus from a Protoceratops? Learn how at

Dinosaurs: China's Ancient Giants.  Now open at OMSI. www.omsi.edu

<http://www.omsi.edu/> 

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2