ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Shawn White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:09:19 -1000

'Ano'ai käua e Kyrie,

Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawai'i has a very strong relationship with the Hawaiian people.  Native Hawaiians are very active here in Hawai'i as well as throughout the world.  There is a lot of cultural pride, thus Bishop Museum's mission is "To study, preserve, and tell the stories of the natural and cultural history of Hawai'i and the Pacific."  Foremost Bishop Museum is a cultural and natural science museum focusing on Hawai'i and the Pacific.

For the past few years, we have been working to incorporate the Hawaiian worldview with western science, sharing with visitors the complementary nature.

Some of our projects have been:

*    Supporting the building and voyages of the Hokule'a, a double-hulled ocean canoe to prove Polynesians made purposeful controlled voyages utilizing ancient building and navigation techniques (the Hokule'a has been sailing for over 30 years, and is now in an around the Pacific voyage);

*    Programs associated with voyaging such as Navigating Change, to take the Museum to the students on each island;

*    Holoholo Science Outreach to take all our on-site science programs to neighbor islands, including the Hawaiian stories and science wherever possible;

(To answer another thread, we charge the same amount for our outreach program whether we drive to the other side of O'ahu, or ship everything and fly to Maui, Kaua'i, Lana'i, Moloka'i, or the Big Island.)

*    The Origin Tunnel in our Science Adventure Center, total immersion in one of the chants of creation (Kumulipo) and the echo in western scientific explanations;

*    Creating cultural programs that reference and direct visitors to the corresponding science exhibits (navigation=planetarium, Kumulipo chant=Origin Tunnel, etc.);

*    Science and the Arts - traveling with native Hawaiian artists to elementary schools, demonstrating native crafts together with the scientific explanations.

Of course, we also collaborate with numerous native Hawaiian organizations for culture very strongly as well.  Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Aloha,

Shawn

Shawn White

Science Education Manager