ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:59:41 -0600

My parent company specializes in large format printing (Wendy - this
isn't a plug for us, as you'll see!)  While they do very hi-res laser
prints on photographic paper, for outdoor and super tough stuff,
we've worked with a company called fossil graphics.

http://www.fossilgraphics.com/home.html

They print on 100% phenolic material.  While its not as sharp as what
we usually do, it works very well for the type of installation you
are talking about.  Phenolic, as most of you may know, is the type of
resin used for 'formica' type laminates.

The trade off right now with inkjet vs. photographic is crispness.
If you have a lot of small text, inkjet is going to have less sharp
edges.  The good news is they will also send you a sample, so you can
see for yourself what the stuff is like.  Getting a sample on the
substrate you are considering and subjecting it to your own testing
is absolutely the best way to go...

I should add the caveat that this stuff is pretty expensive -
relative to printing on foamboard, etc.

As to toughness - we did a trail signage project for Texas Parks and
Wildlife in Galveston, two weeks before Ike....I haven't been back
down there yet, but apparently the signage survived - and its likely
it would have not only been underwater, but also beat on by flotsam...

I hope to get down there in the next couple of months to see for
myself how the images fared....and will let the group know.