ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:19:56 -0500

Hello, Tal:

I have always liked the idea of people powered exhibits.  I have never
tried it, but I know others here have.  One person (or even better
several people) pedal a stationary exercise bike to make something
work, or run on a treadmill, or turn a motor by hand.  I also have
heard of, though never tried, things like a fountain that shows how
much energy you are putting in (from any source, from photovoltaic to
mechanical) by the height that the water shoots up.  Both of these
could be fun from a learning and media point of view.  Joaquin Fargas (http://www.joaquinfargas.com.ar/
) from Argentina has some interesting ideas that you might want to
look at.

Hope you are well!

Eric Siegel
esiegel at nyscience dot org