ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Phil Edgerton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:37:04 -0400

Greetings,
Here is a revised revised statement for the member institutions to consider.
Several people didn't care for the ladder metaphor so I'm trying another
one. See what you think.
Phil Edgerton, The Health Adventure, Asheville, NC.:

Science is like a mature tree. The main branches are like the main theories
of science. Sometimes a branch becomes defective and is pruned off. This
doesn't harm the other main branches and results in the whole tree becoming
stronger. New twigs branch off as new ideas are formulated based on the
observation of patterns of facts or "phenomena". After rigorous testing and
discussion, the ideas accepted by many fellow scientists can grow into
theories. The tree is always growing bigger and reaching toward the light!

Science has been very powerful in leading us to new observations and
predictions and to new technology. It has led to many of the technological
"wonders" we take for granted today. Think of the world before we understood
that "germs" cause disease! Remember how we landed humans on the moon!

Scientific theories can be changed by new evidence because they are not just
opinions or faith statements. They are accepted in their new form supported
by the independent work of many different individuals. Science won't be able
to give us all the answers, though. People have always used art, religion,
and philosophy to explore questions about the meaning and relevance of life.
These fields complement science. At a deep level, there is really not so
much conflict among all the fields.

The Theory of Evolution is a major and healthy branch on the tree of
science! It organizes the field of Biology and is backed up by Physics,
Geology, Paleontology, and others. Is the Theory of Evolution likely to be
revised and expanded in the future due to new facts being discovered? Of
course! But that revision is most properly done using the methods of science
itself. Science centers have the responsibility to help people understand
our world. Theory of Evolution fits into this goal. We take our
responsibility seriously!