ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lorne Covington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:52:36 -0400

First, an excellent (and dramatic!) short film about the upcoming
descent of Curiosity on August 5th:

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s

Any of you planning events around this?

And this link came up after it played, of Ray Bradbury reading a poem at
JPL as Mariner 9 was preparing to go into orbit around Mars.  (As I
recall, Mars mysteriously had global dust storms as Mariner approached,
causing many to conjecture the Martians were hiding.)

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtZjbTDTDk

I've been (pleasantly) surprised by the sentiment over Ray's passing,
from Steven Colbert's memorial at the end of his show that day, to the
uncharacteristically lyrical obituary in the Economist.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/414933/june-06-2012/sign-off---ray-bradbury-tribute

http://www.economist.com/node/21557294

Both brought tears to my eyes; for as a small boy back in the 60's, Rays
writings opened up to me not only the wonders of space, but also of
humanity, and the sad and wonderful song of living.  Those Oklahoma and
Texas skies of my childhood were not just points of light, but when seen
though the lens of Ray's stories became points of wonder, potential, and
adventure.

If any of you are doing events for Curiosity, it could be an excellent
time to also introduce new generations to Ray's (and others) wonderful
stories of Mars and space.

- Lorne

--
http://noirflux.com