Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:32:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hello, all:  I am trying to reach outside my own contacts to put together two sessions for aam.

For the first one, I know many of the people doing design based work in STEM, but am looking for those doing design based work in art and history museums.  This will probably be a pretty traditional show and tell followed by discussion.

Design at the intersection of science, art, and history museums.  With the emergence of the maker movement, a new genre of museum-based exhibition/activity spaces is emerging that is equally relevant for science, art, and science museums.  This session will bring together leaders from each of these types of museums to present their work in design-based activities.  Design as an introduction to engineering is becoming increasingly widely adopted by science museums as a road into STEM, but not only are there museums of design in many major cities, but many art museums also incorporate design as a core aspect of their mission.  Material history, a prominent part of historical museum programs, puts design front and center in exhibitions and programs.  So design represents and interesting intersection among art, science, and history museums.  The goal of this session is to cross pollinate ideas among communities of practice that don't interact frequently enough.

For the second one, I am trying to ac CEN tuate the positive.  I am looking for novel metrics...how do you assess whether your museum is innovative, or continuously learning, or community responsive, or ethnically diverse, or economically diverse, or is reaching underserved populations.  I am also looking for non North American participants. This will be a conversation style session.

Success, what does it look like? How do you know when your museum is succeeding?  How do museum leaders define success?  What are some strategies that have proven successful to grow and sustain institutions large and small?    This session will explore the multidimensional nature of success in the 21st century museum.  It will explore metrics for defining success, and look historically at the changes in the meaning of success in museums.  Speakers will explore the limits of growth, the financial and programmatic indicators, audience and community responsiveness, building a creative culture within the museum.  There are many paths to success and this session will help to explore the diversity of the museum community and will include at least one museum outside of North America for perspective.

Please contact me offlist if you are interested.  Time is short, I have to get this up by friday at the latest.

Thanks!

Eric Siegel

-- 
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance 
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email 
without the consent of the sender.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2