ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:12:46 -0400

With all our discussions about the scope of science and what it can and
can't solve and what should be considered part of the epistemology of
science or not, we sometimes fail to recognize that science is changing,
for bad or good. The science of 2006 is not the science of 1906. There
is a whole field of study which looks at this called the Philosophy of
Science.
One of the most concise and informative definitions I have found is in
the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science
This sounds a little scary in an age of creationism and pseudoscience,
but is particularly salient after a century in which classical
Positivist methods failed to provide reducable results in a number of
important disciplines. Although remarkable and beautiful science
(albeit, complex and sometimes impossible to understand) resulted from
the studies of photons, quantum mechanics, wholeness, strings, chaos,
complexity, etc., it also resulted in a shift in what science means.
What science meant to Rene Descartes and even D'arcy Thompson is not
what it means to us. I believe that science is struggling for a new
identity which makes room for twentieth century science as not just an
add on to Classical Western science, but part of its foundation. This is
why there are so many questions being asked about how everything else
fits into it. Science, as THE answer to the big questions replaced
religion (largely by its methods) and now, as some of our successes
backfire on is in the form of destructive technologies, overpopulation,
and climate change, the honeymoon is over. Both Kuhn and McLuhan
predicted this. It is our job as science educators to help people make
sense of it. The alternative is that science is relegated to the status
of just another world view amongst the carnival sideshows of
pseudoscience, spiritual science, creationist science, faith-based
pseudo-analytical systems, or just simplistic and non-analytical
thinking in general. Science that sticks to obsolete ways of thinking is
no better than religion which does the same thing.

--
Stephen Miles Uzzo
Director of Technology