ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allan Ayres <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:22:38 -0800

>	We're creating some costume vests for an exhibit for young
>children. We've been thinking about using a couple of magnets to
>keep the front panels of the vests together (there are durability
>issues involved with other types of closures we considered--Velcro,
>snaps, buttons). Questions have been raised, however, about magnets
>interfering with pacemakers. I've seen magnets used in a variety of
>exhibits, so does anyone have any information on this?

We tried to research this question back in 2002 but weren't able to
find a very definitive answer.  Here's what I said in reply to
someone on the ASTC list at that time:

At 4:17 PM -0700 6/9/03, Allan Ayres wrote:
>The best thing I could find was a statement somewhere that 10 gauss
>was the maximum field that anyone should be able to be exposed to
>unwittingly.  I think I found that on a news site (cnn.com or some
>such), so I have little confidence that that figure represents
>anything more than someone's haphazard guess.
>
>Our approach has just been to make it plain that all the magnets on
>the floor are in fact magnets (on the assumption that people who
>need to avoid magnets will do so if they know about them), and to
>take steps to shield the stronger ones.

Please let us all know if you find out anything definitive... I'm
sure many of us would like to have a real answer to this question.

--
~~

Allan Ayres
Exhibit Developer