ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 09:06:41 -0400

I once heard a radio interview with the band members of "They Might Be
Giants" for the album they did "standing on the shoulders of giants" and the
interviewer asked where they came up with such a great title. Sadly, the
band members said it just came to them in a moment of genius. Considering
their songs of science, I would expect they knew very well that the line
originates with Newton (and less likely to know it actually originates
further back in history.) They missed a great opportunity to advocate
science in that interview, I think.

More on topic, when we started to put together a list of Darwin/Evolution
inspired art and artists for the Darwin Day Program, we came across these
musicians: (I'm not sure if the contact info for Milner is still right.)

Stephen Baird and The Opossums of Truth: http://www.scientificgospel.com/
    Scientific Gospel is a unique musical genre created by Dr. Stephen
    Baird to impart scientific knowledge, discuss social and political
    issues, and argue for rational inquiry and thought. Dr. Baird's
    aim is to combine Man's intelligence with the majesty of the universe
    as he champions science and rational thought infused with humanistic
    essence. Scientific Gospel can be considered part of what is now
    called 'roots music' - it stems from our beginnings and conveys
    it in a gospel/bluegrass sound. However, the best way to explain
    it is to hear it. Click on the title link above for more information.

Richard Milner:
    Anthropologist Richard Milner of the American Museum of Natural
    History in New York is also a songwriter and performer of a witty
    one-man musical called "Charles Darwin: Live & In Concert." To
    learn more about Milner's fabulous performance and to find out
    how to book him for your next event, click on the title link above.
CHARLES DARWIN: LIVE & IN CONCERT includes all the songs from Richard's
"Darwin" show, including two new ones about Stephen Jay Gould and Jimmy
Durante (you heard right!) that were specially commissioned by the Skeptic
Society 's Gould Festschrift last year. The high-quality, digitally mastered
CD album features 21 cuts, with 11 songs and runs a full 34 minutes. Milner
is author of "The Encyclopedia of Evolution" and is a Senior Editor at
Natural History Magazine at the American Museum of Natural History. Among
his fans are Stephen Jay Gould, lyricist Sheldon ("Fiddler on the Roof")
Harnick, Sir David Attenborough, Tony Randall, and members of the Darwin
family. Order from Richard Milner, 2067 Broadway, Suite 49, New York, New
York, 10023, or e-mail him at [log in to unmask]

Sonny Meadows: http://www.sonnymeadows.com/
    "Mr. Meadows displays an inventive sense of rhythm and melody
    that runs the sonic gamut from Kurt Weil to Southern chain gangs,
    ....along with hooky choruses featuring female vocals that seep
    deep into the psyche..." Robbie Woliver, N.Y. Times, November
    2000

Amanda Chesworth
Educational Director, CSICOP
www.csicop.org