ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Sipics <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:26:51 -0500

My two cents: the Raspberry Pi may not be a great fit for everyone. It
comes without a case (it basically looks like an open circuit board) so
you'd need a safe place to put it before you could even begin tinkering
with it, and they do require a fair amount of tinkering to set up. I don't
know what things are like at your museums, but in my experience there's not
a lot of spare time to be had for playing with linux distributions and
trying to hunt down drivers for components. To that end, I don't think the
Raspberry Pi even comes with wifi built in by default, just ethernet. You
need an add-on USB dongle to enable wifi. So this is definitely not a plug
and play solution (though you'd probably have some bragging rights if you
could come up with a cool setup for it).

All that said, I don't have a great alternative suggestion either!
Michelle