ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:00:40 -0500

I received an NSF-sponsored packet (a mini envelope of stuff that would
fit in your pocket) of nano-science activities about 5 years ago at a
science education conference - NSTA, perhaps.  In it were a refrigerator
magnet with a break-off strip on one end.  You used the strip as a
probe, dragging it across the magnet, magnet faces together, to find the
pattern of the magnetic stripes (fridge magnets have alternating
polarity stripes - produces a strong field on the back and almost no
field on the front).  The packet also contained a piece of memory wire
and an LED, as I recall.  They did a few demo activites with LED's and
the memory wire that I don't remember too clearly, but I did learn that
LED color depends on small amounts of additives, at least in some cases.

The fridge magnet thing is cool and easy - you can do it with two whole
magnets - they "chatter when pulled parallel to one edge and slide when
pulled the other way.

Dave

David L. Smith, Ph.D.
Director of Professional Development
Da Vinci Discovery Center, Allentown, PA
http://www.davinci-center.org
"Who will pick up where Leonardo left off?"