ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Blair Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 15:36:41 -0400

Hi Becky & all,
We've developed and offered Robotics Workshops for the last 9 years on 4-8 wknds per year at the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

In these 2 hr workshops youth or families participate to understand how a small programmable robot works (they are stepped thru testing one) then they actually program it several times (using its a PC and serial cable) to do whatever they want and finally they use it with a remote control to explore a Mars habitat, create art, navigate a maze, play soccer/hockey, play robot sumo etc.  We also
invite in to do a demo for all either a Police ETF Robot or other robot group (Medical, Business, Exploration or Technology Co.)  From 4 year olds to grandparents get and love this experience.

These activities have proven to be an incredibly effective and empowering way to reach youth & families with the reality and the opportunities of science and technology for their futures.  Many of these youth and families return to take part in the many public or school robotics competitions we partner to host at our Centre every year.

You may find the info and links below helpful.  Any ?'s email me directly.
Best Regards,

Blair Clarkson
Coordinator Special Events & Attractions
Ontario Science Centre
(416) 696-3195
email: [log in to unmask]

We pre-book via partners/sponsors/schools/our membership and work with 15-30 either youth or families at a time by using 10-15 volunteer facilitators that we train in a 2 hr session on the Fri afternoon/evening before.  We lead all via a Powerpoint presentation and by having each family or youth do a hands-on step by step progression to test their robots operation, use its built-in programs, then
program it, then use it with a remote control.

Over the last 9 years this program has evolved through 4 generations of the advancing robot kit technology.  Currently we use the Parallax Scribbler Robot which comes with a Great "Graphic User Interface" (GUI) for programming.  These little robots come with 8 pre-programmed behaviors but can also be programmed for movement, lights, sounds, music and some autonomous roles etc...(all very easily
via the GUI)

We also add a remote control and remote programs (although the robot was never intended for this and then we also talk about digital convergence).

Info on these robots is available at:
http://ScribblerRobot.com

Free GUI Programming downloads at:
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/458/Default.aspx

Trillium Foundation funded OSC Robotics workshops info:
http://www.trilliumfoundation.org/cms/en/robots.aspx

& Videos of our Workshops are at our "therobotchannel" on YouTube:

Early OSC Robotics Workshops 3 min summary video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPPeUIDBXs&feature=channel_page

Cdn Astronaut Chris Hadfield at OSC-Trillium Youth Robotics Workshops Launch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2-mdDfp08&feature=channel_page

Cdn MDA Mars Robot at OSC Trillium Youth Robotics Workshops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTirPbhgYP8&feature=channel_page

OSC's Scribbler Youth Robotics Workshops in OSC Telus room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jcjE-a1P0&feature=channel_page

OSC's Scribbler Families Robot Workshops in OSC Computer Lab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hpq5UHwNmE&feature=channel_page

Also here is the YouTube link for the 9min "Robota" Documentary made by 2 young film-makers who came and filmed at OSC's Cdn National Robot Games in Nov. 2008.
It is a nice documentary on these OSC Events showcasing this theme for our visitors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxZY_XO8pM