ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:29:02 -0500

I've been thinking about just that issue although for a smaller space
(2000 Sq Ft?)

For crates I would look at how many trailer trucks a 5K exhibit travels
in and multiply.  A typical 9x53 foot trailer is around 475 sq ft. And
if you can do it include a forklift in the budget to stack them up. And
a pallet lift too.

I would have track lighting grid with fairly tight spacing and many
20amp circuits so that I could drop power as well as illuminate.  Have a
good variety of floods, spots, etc.  And maybe fluorescent "house"
lights above for installation and maintenance. Lots of wall outlets
including a few 220-30amp circuits.  Forget floor outlets they never end
up where you need them and if there are columns put an outlet on all
four faces of each one.

Minimum 16 feet to the tracks and then whatever else above for
mechanical.  Oh and that means getting a Genie lift to go with the
forklift.

HVAC should be on its own.  No use heating or air conditioning when the
gallery is empty.  Also some exhibits may produce way more heat load
than others.  This also is great during installation when you might be
painting or doing smelly work that you don't want escaping into the rest
of the museum.

I would have a loading dock for big trailers.  I would have a loading
dock foyer big enough for a handful of big crates to sit without getting
in the way. I would have access to the space by the public be such that
when it is closed off it does not appear to be an empty space.

Erich Rose
Exhibit Manager
Austin Children's Museum
201 Colorado Street