ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fournier, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2013 23:03:55 +0000

Good Afternoon:
I would like to propose a session on Science Challenges/Competitions for ASTC 2014. A group of us submitted a proposal 2 years ago that was not accepted but I think it is a great topic that a) others could model from and that b) from which we could get great feedback on existing programs. I wonder if ASTC feels they are not moving the industry forward and are kind of a "been there done that" topic? I still find tremendous value in it for our organization but it might not be cutting edge enough. We have tried to get funding for formal evaluation for the program but we have not been successful to date and that might be a problem as well.

I am in the 8th year of a year-long program with schools from the state of Alabama who produce a prototype of an exhibit that they would like to see at McWane Science Center. When I discuss this programs with other museum professionals they are always very interested and I know there other great programs out there as well. Anyone interested in trying to sell this topic for a panel discussion in 2014?

Do any of you who were in on the first proposal still have a copy of the abstract we submitted that you could send to me from which we could build?

Thanks, Kathy

Kathy Fournier
Vice President of Education
McWane Science Center