ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 10:44:14 -0400

I had a long conversation with a biologist friend over the weekend, and
concluded that semantics plays a big role in the general public's
resistance to--or reluctance to accept fully-- the concept of
evolution.

To illustrate, we take this fairly basic lesson of evolution: mutation
happens when an accident occurs in DNA replication.
The word "mutation" carries plenty of negative connotation in popular
parlance, and the word "accident"--which biologists seem very
comfortable using--makes evolution seem like a rather haphazard
circumstance.  My biologist friend casually used words like "mistake"
and "bad strand [of DNA]" as well.

Using this vocabulary is a result of humancentric thinking (I think).
It looks like accidents and mistakes to us, because similar scenarios
on a human-scale, in our day-to-days lives, are in fact accidents and
mistakes.

As I now understand it, cells are constantly trying new DNA patterns,
maintaining readiness for changes in the environment.  The majority of
these changes in the genetic code are useless, or even fatal for
individuals, but, on balance, they allow life a greater amount of
flexibility, and the benefits far outweigh the costs.

Evolution and mutation is a very elegant means by which life can
continue on this planet despite radically changing climates and
landscapes.
It's no accident.  It is the solution.

___
JasonJayStevens
exhibits . annArborHands-OnMuseum . [log in to unmask]
art . potterBelmarLabs . www.potterbelmar.org . [log in to unmask]